Tickerplayground.com

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Move over Martha Stewart

I have been trying out new recipes that I have found in all my magazines. Thanks to Holly for sending me a bunch of great magazines. I don't remember what magazine I got this recipe out of but it was GREAT!!! Chicken Pot Pie


This is what it looked like before I cooked it. I didn't get a picture of it after it was cooked because by the time I came back from my Relief Society meeting it was almost gone.

Here is the recipe I used. I made a few adjustment from the original recipe. It is really easy to double the recipe and freeze one of the pies or give one away. (That is what I did) Also add some rolls and it is a very inexpensive dinner.

Chicken and Vegetable Pot Pie
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Cooked and cubed.
1 Tbl. olive oil
2 onions, chopped
4 carrots, sliced thick
2 stock of celery
2 large potatoes
3 Tbl. flour
1/2 c. chicken broth
2 cups milk
8 0z. frozen peas
1 Tbl. fresh thyme (I used 1 tsp. dried thyme)
Salt & Pepper
Pie Crust
Heat Oven to 400.
Heat oil in a saucepan. Add onions, celery, and carrots. Cook until tender. (Not too soft)
Add potatoes and cook for a few more minutes. Potatoes will still be firm.
Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
Add broth and cook until evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add milk and simmer until sauce thickens, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in Chicken, Peas and Thyme. Salt and Pepper to taste.
Transfer to a shallow 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
Lay crust on top, press to seal to dish. Cut several vents in the crust. Brush with milk. Place on baking sheet and bake until bubbling and crust is golden. 30- 35 minutes.
Note: I like all my vegetables and chicken cut chunky, using more veggies than chicken.
Pie Crust ( You can use a store bought crust but I made mine from scratch)
1/4 cup butter
1 cup shortening
1 Tbl. sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbl. nonfat dry milk
3 cups flour
1/2 cup cold water.
Mix dry ingredients together with shortening and butter until crumbly. Add water a little at a time. Mix well. You may not need all the water. Flour the table before rolling dough out.
Make two pie crusts
Note: the sugar in the pie crust really add to the over all flavor!!
YUM YUM ENJOY!!!!


2 comments:

Sharon said...

Looks good. I'm going to try it.

Anonymous said...

You are welcome Mom, just make sure to save the good ones for me :)